Sorry if this is old news, but I didn't see any recent posts about this....
As detailed in my blog post
, K4PC crashed on me today when I tried to launch it. After following another suggestion to download and install an older version (which worked), I then got an email response from Kindle CS with additional steps to uninstall, deregister, and reinstall K4PC with the latest version. This seemed to do the trick. (I suspect the cleaning up of the user app data may have been significant.) If you need to do this, don't forget to back up any non-Amazon content from your "My Kindle Content" folder before deleting it -- or just do what I did and move the whole folder to a back-up location. Here's a direct copy-and-paste of the instructions from Amazon:
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you with your Kindle for PC application.
I'm glad to hear that you've tried the basic troubleshooting steps by uninstalling and reinstalling the application, that was the correct action to take. However, as the basic troubleshooting wasn't useful, letís try Real-time troubleshooting steps by uninstalling the Kindle for PC application, and deregister it from your "Manage Your Kindle." Then, reinstall the latest version (1.5) of the Kindle for PC application and re-register the application.
Steps to uninstall the application from your computer:
1. Go to your computer's Start menu.
2. Select "All Programs."
3. Find the Amazon folder in the list.
4. Follow the menu to the "Amazon Kindle for PC" folder.
5. Click "Uninstall Kindle for PC" from the list.
6. Confirm everything has been deleted in the -- C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle For PC directory (especially the Kindle.info file).
7. Also confirm everything has been deleted in the -- C:\Users\<USER>\Documents\My Kindle Content
8. Make sure all system updates are performed.
9. Reboot/restart your computer.
Note: Uninstalling the Kindle for PC application, will not change your registration. You'll need to follow these steps in-order to deregister the Kindle for PC application:
1. Visit the Manage Your Kindle page (http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle)
2. Locate your Kindle for PC in the "Your Other Devices" section.
3. Click the "Deregister" link.
To install the latest version of Kindle for PC, go to the URL below to download and install the application:
We are frequently updating Kindle for PC with new features and performance improvements that may resolve the problem you are having. The new Kindle for PC 1.5 adds several new features to the application.