View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #23
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mear View Post
Well, it can be a while from announcement to release. *sigh*

I'm considering giving up on comfortably reading PDFs and going with the 350, at least that one I can get my hands on . . .
One thing you should remember about the 350 is that the display is actually the same resolution as the six inch displays of the Kindle, Nook, and Sony's own six inch reader the PRS-650 (800x600), so if you put on some reading glasses and hold the screen a little closer, you will see (or not see) about the same thing when trying to view a full page PDF on the 350's slightly smaller screen.

Small as the 350 is, I would still rate it higher on PDF handling than the Kindle because :

- The Zoom works better.

- There are specialized two and three column modes for reading multi column PDF's.

- The 350 has built in PDF text reflow.

Re-flow lets you enlarge the PDF's text to any size you want, with the trade-off being that you loose the original page formatting.

For mainly text PDFs, the Sony's reflow capability is pretty good - the main issues being that it looses or misaligns images, and for the text, it occasionally doesn't get the line breaks and page breaks perfect. Also, it doesn't try to de-hyphenate words that were originally hyphenated at the ends of lines, so in the re-flowed text you will see a few words hyphenated in the mid-dle of lines.

I just finished reading an older novel from one of my favorite authors that was only available from my library in PDF format, and I didn't find these issues to be more than a very minor distraction.

Personally, I would go with the 350 for pleasure reading, and plan on using a netbook, notebook, or full sized tablet for those occasions when you must deal with technical PDFs with complex formatting.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote