View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Not only do I not fully get the point of these social networking sites and features, I do have a concern that within a handful of years from now, they are going to be used to hire and fire employees, political and social witch hunts and any number of small-town style clique-like things. I'm saying this looking from the outside in so I might just not have enough understanding of these services.

I would say it's fine if it's all voluntary and people are smart about it by using fake names and personal info but sometime soon there will be some value placed on using a Real Name to steal Amazon's current designation. I suspect soon there will be something similar to a credit report for your social activity. Remember it is all online and public so someone is going to want to profit from using the data. There will be services doing just that offering Social Stability Evaluations, right out of something like Gattaca or any number of other SF stories.

I wonder if anyone has been fired because they tweeted an off-color remark or commented on Facebook about attending some fringe concert or political event. I seem to recall some pro athletes getting fined by their league or team thanks to tweets. I'm willing to bet worse has happened somewhere but never was the real reason used at the actual time of the firing or otherwise negative event in a person's life.

As my ID says, it's Nunya business.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote