ok, that sounds like a good system.
now i understand the reason for limiting the number of categories. it seems to me that the most general of the amazon list are these ones (all the others could somehow be grouped under one of these) :
* Biographies & Memoirs
* Children's and Young Adults books
* Comics & Graphic Novels
* Cooking, Food & Wine
* Literature & Fiction
* Mystery & Thrillers
* Science Fiction & Fantasy
and probably this list could be further refined. I have left a few which might be considered superfluous for specific reasons :
* cooking is for Patricia because sometimes she uploads things like "the Book of Cheese" and i think that's hilarious. [EDIT : i think the title "the book of cheese" is hilarious, not Patricia !]
* Children's and Young Adults could be combined, but i think it is worth keeping because i have noticed we already have quite a good selection of children's / youth series (i beleive it is mostly HarryT who uploads these)
* i don't know how useful "comics & graphic novels" categorie would be right now but i say keep it just in case (just put it at the very end of the list !), you never know what we'll be able to do with our next generation...
this is just my opinion though and to be honest i usually have a hard time ascribing things to specific categories... hm, another argument for the shortest list possible !!