View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Actually, I don't know what even half terms are that you mentioned because I don't know half of what Calibre does, or can do. I guess I do things backwards. I download an HTML file whenever possible from a free book source and do everything in HTML. Then when I bring the finished file into Calibre, on the convert dialog the only thing I do is check the boxes for "Smarten Punctuation" and "Use cover from source file" and hit "Okay." All this does for me is to change straight quotes to curly. I get a perfect mobi file every time. Doing everything in HTML is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I only use two internal CSS styles within the 'head' of the HTML file, one for handling indents and line spacing (I used to use Calibre for that, but I find this is better and easier) and one for placing page breaks before each chapter, forward, endnotes etc.

It can take a long time getting code ready, especially with books that have a lot of foot/endnotes. I never relish the thought of inserting 40 or 50 hyperlinks for them, but I sure like the results.

One thing I'll add to your list of items to watch out for is to make sure that any images with captions are done together in an image program by creating some blank space at the bottom of the image to insert the text there and then merge the image and text together as one jpg file. Simply placing an image on a page with a 'br' tag to make a space under it for the caption won't necessarily keep them on the same page in the viewer even when using a page break after the caption if the image is large enough to take up the whole page by itself. Better to just add the caption to the image itself in your image program.

I'm not reitred yet, but I'm 52 and like to write as well as read. I'm only on my second hemorrhoid though, and convention says you're not a real author until you're on your third.

Last edited by Ransom; 08-09-2011 at 12:17 AM.