It's a new month and there are new freebies. Several bargains from last month remain, so be sure to check the previous thread, HERE
This is the sticky thread for free and bargain books in the Kindle store for August 2011. Rather than try to update the first post with a list of all the books, which is continually changing, instead new books will be posted at the end of the thread and each month there will be a new thread, letting the old one drop off the top of the forum. Anyone can post to the thread, but there are a few rules:
- Only books in the kindle store. Yes, I realize that free books elsewhere will often work on the Kindle, but those should be reported in the Deals forum. This list is for those who only get their books from the Kindle store (and there are many who do) and don't want to deal with having to download and transfer books from elsewhere.
- Do not edit old messages to add new books. Most people read this thread by clicking to see new posts. If you edit old messages, then no one is notified of a new post and often won't see the updates when they click to see new messages. If you need to edit an old message to correct a link or other info (or even want to note a book that is no longer free), that is perfectly ok.
- No shortened URL's. No one likes to click on a link and end up somewhere that they were not expecting and few of the URL shorteners allow you to set up a preview mode so that you get a chance to see the destination first. So, use the full URL in your posting (yes, you can still just post a link on the title, but with the full URL, everyone can look at the status line or use Copy Shortcut to see where they will go before the new site opens).
- No author self-promotions (unless your book is free in the Kindle store) or self-published books. If you are a Kindle author and posting another's work, it should be either a non-self-published book or one that you've read to the end and would not feel embarrassed to recommend to your mother, closest friends and priest/minister (assuming they read the same genre). In other words, the writing is exceptional (no misspellings or substituted words, grammar rules obeyed formatting that looks good on the Kindle screen). It isn't that we don't want you to post, but author self-promotions can overwhelm the list and a special child forum in the Deals and Bargains section has been provided for this purpose.
- No excerpts or sample chapters (business minis are ok, so long as they are not just samples of another book)
- Please indicate the price of any book that is not being offered free. You don't have to say "free" if one is, but it would be nice if you include that in the message. The maximum price for bargains is a bit flexible, but generally under $2 and nothing over $5, unless it is a volume that contains several titles in one and the total price per book puts it into the bargain realm or the digital price is below 25% of the list print price and 50% of the digital list price; this lets you include high priced reference books or cookbooks that are extremely heavily discounted, for one reason or another (but, let's not include books that Amazon has at $9.99 all the time, ok?).
- If you see the genre of a book and it isn't clear from the book description that you post, please include it; conversely, if someone leaves this off, don't post to berate them, but you can post to include that info for others.
- If you are posting a book that is free in the UK Amazon store, please say so. Also, if you do not have your current location set in your profile (below your name, it shows next to all of your posts), then add that to your post (as it "this is free here in Canada"). To all: please note that whether or not a book is free in a country other than the one a person is logged into is not easily discovered. The person who posts often has no way to determine that you will pay a different amount if you are in a different country. Also, prices at Amazon can change minute to minute and freebies can last as little as an hour (possibly less), so always check the price before one-clicking. If you discover that a book costs more (other than the "standard" $2+VAT international fee Amazon often takes onto books outside the US), you may leave a single comment with the country and price/restriction (for example: "This book costs $9.99 in the UK" or "Not available in Canada").
- Try to keep chit-chat to a minimum. That will keep notifications of a new message in the thread down to (generally) only when a new book has been posted, making the thread more useful for all.
If you agree or disagree with the rules, have more to be added, etc, please send me a private message, rather than replying here. I'll discuss it with the moderators and we'll modify as needed.