View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #36
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

When people say they've met smart people who never went to college but have known clueless and/or uncultured people who did, they're often contrasting those who benefited from a good early education (Abraham Lincoln, Arnold Schoenberg, Ezra Pound) with people from sterile environments who then found themselves in universities.
I remember when I was in college in the late 80's early 90's (I forget exactly when) I was in the break area with a bunch of other people, teachers and students and one instructor was bemoaning the fact that a lot of his students seemed to have such bad reading comprehension skills. I asked him if that wasn't something they were supposed to have learned way back in grade school and he said that was his point. Apparently a lot of his students somehow fell through the cracks or something and didn't learn the trick of understanding the meaning of the written word. Kinda sad really. I got my first library card at age 3 and have had one ever since. Family sometimes joke about me being a branch of the public library. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote