View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdivot1 View Post
It looks like the Cybook would be more ergonomic than the Kindle for reading in bed and in plane seats, but I'm not really sure about that at all. Any input in this area?

As far as content availability goes, I did some looking around, and although all the formats and such are rather confusing still to me, it seems like there is plenty available for both. If I understand correctly I'd be able to read a mobipocket formatted book on either device, but not a Kindle formatted book on the Cybook (without some kind of "hack).
The Cybook is smaller and lighter, but not that much smaller and lighter. The Kindle is ok for reading in bed and in plane seats.

MOBI (or PRC) ebooks without DRM are readable on the Kindle. Secure (DRM-laden) MOBI ebooks from some stores (but not others) can be authorized for the Kindle, but still need an extra conversion step. Alternatively, the DRM from all recent Secure MOBI ebooks can be stripped to produce a DRM-free MOBI file which is readable on the Kindle. Reading authorized MOBI ebooks on a Kindle is probably legal in the US, but stripping DRM from an ebook (even for format shifting) may not be legal.

You need to own a Kindle to buy Kindle ebooks from Amazon. Not all Secure Kindle ebooks are in the AZW format, but the DRM from AZW ebooks can be stripped to produce a DRM-free MOBI file that is readable on the Cybook.

A Kindle owner is likely to buy Secure ebooks from Amazon. This locks them in to some extent, although AZW ebooks can be converted to MOBI. The Cybook will read MOBI ebooks from many vendors, and MOBI ebooks are likely to be usable on many current and future devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote