View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #55
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
I don't think that it was her who decided every detail in the layout of her pbooks. Most likely, it was all done by typesetting professionals who prepared several nicely looking dummies and asked her to choose which one she prefers.

Mobi might not support every feature of epub but it is not a reason to reject mobi format because the differences are not very significant.

E-readers require change of typesetting philosophy. There is no use to trying duplicate every feature of print typography. Font embedding could be a nice feature but it is optional because the power of an ereader is to choose the fonts of your liking. A publisher no longer can force such things on readers and they have to invent a different approach to provide the best reading experience. For example, I would like to see a possibility to provide automatic footnotes. It should not be too difficult to provide a footer or a running head whenever the text requires it.
I don't think she did it all, but I'd be surprised if she didn't at least have input on it.

Also, many ebook readers don't give you the option to change fonts. Most I've used just let you change size. The nook was the first one I messed with that let you change font, and it has a grand total of 3 (and two of them are pretty similar to eachother, so really it boils down to serif or sansserif.)
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote