View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #14
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 505 & 900, Kindle DX, Samsung Galaxy Tab, EVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by queen13 View Post
Never transfer news to PRS reader.
It has some kind of malfunction with news feed.
(Some is working fine, some others are crashing reader)
Then only thing you can do is RESET!!!
If you transfer through Sony software, it does all the necessary formatting/preprocessing, then reader opens it fine, no crash.

Quote:
This all worked fine a few versions ago, no problem. Even with the new version I never have to do a reset, it always did it on its own.
Kovid keeps improving his software. New version of feeds is much better to read/navigate on the reader. But it's too much preprocessing for limited processor of reader. Just transfer through Sony.

If you don't like or don't want the new version of feeds, you can always use the "web2lrf" instead of "feeds2lrf".

About my script. It's a simple text file, called "GetNews.bat" with lines like this:

cd C:\Temp
feeds2lrf "The New York Times" --username=XXX --password=XXX
feeds2lrf CNN
feeds2lrf mynews.py
etc., etc.

I have WinXP, so I have scheduled a periodic task to run this bat file 6am. It only takes me few minutes to open Sony software and transfer news feeds to the reader. No crashes, all feeds (some of them are over 1,000 pages) open very quickly.

I can't say enough "thanks" to Kovid for making reader a better device. I had a small donation and participated in getting the community-sponsored prs505, have buy more drinks for him soon.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote