Read MP3 audio book metadata
This plugin eases the process of managing your Audio Books in Calibre.
Audio Books, if they are long enough, are typically broken up into separate files by chapter, to ease downloading pain over slow connections. Calibre considers each file a separate book
in its database. The work-around I've chosen is to put all the chapters of the Audio Book into a Series
by the book's actual name, ordered by chapter number.
files have some metadata internally in ID3 tags. These are extracted and used to populate the metadata for the book as it is added to Calibre. A slightly massaged version of eyeD3-0.6.17 is used to parse these files.
files are playlists of MP3
files. ( Actually, .M3U8
all use a sufficiently similar file format, and are also parsed. YMMV ) The MP3 files should be referenced with an absolute URL or path.
M4A and M4B
files have metadata internally in MPEG tags. These are extracted and used to populate the metadata for the book as it is added to Calibre. ( Actually, .MP4
all use the exact same file format, and are also parsed. YMMV ) A slightly massaged version of mp4file-0.2 is used to parse these.
AA and AAX
(Audible.com) files have some metadata internally. These are extracted and used to populate the metadata for the book as it is added to Calibre. The Google Code item pyaudibletags is used to parse these files.
Main Features of v1.0.79:
As I read and learn more about Calibre, Python and Audio Book formats, I notice EPUB3:
- will eventually be part of Calibre
- will allow sound files as part of an EPUB eBook
- as of 2011 3rd Quarter is in the final stages of nailing down the specification so implementers won't have to shoot in the dark anymore.
Therefore, I won't be coming out with a new version of the MP3 Metadata Reader until I see what is happening with EPUB3.
This plugin may become unnecessary.
I will instead be looking at the desirability of a tool to bundle a collection of MP3 files into an EPUB3 file that happens to have no text, but is otherwise manageable by Calibre.
- Requires Calibre v0.7.53 or later.
- When adding books, you need to change your File Type to look for "All Files" to see the MP3 files.
- Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/restart Calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
- You should now be able to add Audio Book Files to Calibre. Select all files for a book, or select them individually. (You will need to change File Type to All Files in the Add Books Dialog, or just drag-n-drop them.)