View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Olympus
Connoisseur
Olympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket & Bookeen CyGen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Once again, using Public/Key private key means the user needs a way to put the private key into thier device.

The ONLY way to POSSIBLE do DRM properly is to use Public/Private key encrypt, but not provide a way for a user to embed the private key into the device. It would need to be either:

1. Embedded into the ROM of the device with technology like IronKey uses where there is no way to get to it. So, manufacturers would need to request the private key for each user before ordering... this would send the device prices much higher. It would also be hard to gift the device or sell it.
Giving this some additional thoughts during my daily commute:
could the hash of the JPG be used together with a key (i'm getting confused now) from the buyer/publisher so that the JPG is the key and that the text and the JPG can not be used individually.

However I admit: if something can be encoded it can be decoded thus is available for piracy.
The DVD-screeners for the Oscars contain an individually generated watermark, but even those are available for illegal downloading.
As Tim O'Reilly famously pointed out in a 2002 essay on publishing lesson 4: "And overall, as a book publisher who also makes many of our books available in electronic form, we rate the piracy problem as somewhere below shoplifting as a tax on our revenues."
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote