Thread: generating tocs
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xopher H View Post
What I'm saying is that Sigil keeps overwriting the .ncx file that I've manually modified to be in the structure that I like. One of the problems with using heading tags is that they also stylize the text, rather than just marking it.
@Xopher:

Firstly, you can set the heading styles to be whatever you want in the CSS--as "styled" or not as you choose. Anyone who's hand-crafting his ncx certainly knows how to do that, gotta be kid's play for you.

Secondly, just from an html/css/epub/xhtml standard, when crafting epubs, people should think about what an element is, rather than what it looks like. I've lost track of how many crappy books I've seen because somebody used a heading style to create something that isn't a structural element. Not saying this is you--just using this as an opportunity to spout a bit about something irksome. Despite Microsoft's "hijacking" of headers 1-6 to be stylistic elements, rather than structural, headers still serve an actual structural purpose in a document/epub, and should be used for TOC's, IMHO. (This is not to say that one mightn't have other items, like a Table of Illustrations, that needs something else to create it...but I've found 6 header styles to be plenty even for the most complex book and TOC, myself, and we've done hundreds of books of all types).

Thirdly, use Sigil in beta, 0.4-something, which gives you the option to keep your existing ncx or to create a new one from headers. It won't overwrite your carefully hand-crafted ncx unless you tell it to. Now, note: the beta is buggy; but it might work nicely for you, given your issue.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote