View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenz117 View Post
HI there guys - I have a similar and slightly alarming issue:

I have an epub file that at 0.7mb that when converted jumps to 3mb. I have played with calibre 0.8.8 with varying results. I am using optimised gif files.
-
If I do a straight epub -> mobi conversion then the size increases 4 fold.

I just changed the mobi output settings to generic rather than Kindle and this then created a mobi at 1.5mb - but now cant replicate that on other book files (I have 5 I am trying to publish)

I beleive that when you convert to mobi - epub also gets bundled hence some increase in file size - but 4 times?

I know there was a script to remove the epub aspect from a mobi - but the script I have has no effect with these new files.

Has anyone else had any experience of optimising mobi files - naturally to try and reduce delivery charges for books
If you're converting with Calibre, the ePub does not get added to the end. That's purely if the conversion is done with Kindlegen.

If you want to know where the extra is coming from, unpack the Mobipocket and see. My guess is that Calibre is doing something to the pictures to make them larger (in bytes). But that's only a guess.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote