Originally Posted by Kolenka
+1 on this. The biggest beef I can have with any reader is preferential treatment of their content over side-loaded epubs.
Stuff I'd like to see (some likely mentioned), in my own personal priority order from most important to least important:
- Italics/Bold/Hyperlink bugs with rendering/interaction of side-loaded content.
- No more page markings in the margins for side-loaded content.
- Highlighting should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
- Dictionary lookup should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
- Shelf/Collection Support. Preferably in a way friendly to side-loaded content such that I may not have to create all the collections myself (tags in the eBook to auto-add them to shelves, perhaps?).
- Notes attached to a highlight (this is very useful for reminding me why I highlighted a section of text).
- I like the title/chapter title display for Kobo content, I'd like to see this on both side-loaded and Kobo content, but I'd prefer to see a page count for the whole book. The page count within the chapter should be configurable, as some of us care more about book progress and less about chapter progress.
- It'd be nice to support the cover meta tag to grab the cover image. The nook uses this for sideloaded content to bypass having to render the cover page and hope it looks right, and just grab the raw image directly. Seems to make processing of new content a lot faster as well. Maybe revert to existing behavior if it isn't present.
- EDIT: Bigger screensaver with the book cover. The percentage read and "Sleep Mode" text are a bit invasive and don't really add much to the experience. I'd be happy with the cover taking up most/all of the screen with an overlay (a la Nook) telling you how to wake your device.
I haven't even probed the limits of search or format support yet. This is just the stuff that bugged me to varying degrees. The first 5 are ones that I'd return the device over, and the first 4 fall under the umbrella of "Side-loaded content is a second-class citizen on the device".
Agree totally with all the points you brought up except for the Sleep mode page. I have seen several people remark that a full screen picture should be displayed instead but I personally enjoy the look as is. Am I alone in this?