View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #61
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
that's an interesting feature some of us have been thinking on too, but it's not so easy to implement.
As you indicated I implemented something like it in dr1000-hackx (although that version is not yet published) it reads .drinfo files that contains metadata and a reference to an image. The current implementation is mainly to see how it can be done, my next step was indeed to link it with Calibre.
@Mr. X.: can you point me to some documents about the format of the .metadata and .cover files from Calibre?
Quote:
For pdf and epub files, UDS will overwrite every changed field if they don't match with what it reads from the books metadata. There is a hack in Mackx's DR1000 hack to block UDS writing but it's not present in DR800+ yet.

Adding many .metadata and .cover files will pollute the file system with may new files. Also .cover files will be inserted in global.db as valid documents.
Since mdbindex needs to be changed, the .metadata and .cover files can easily be excluded. (Furthermore only files with 'known' extension will be added. since .cover is not an extension linked to an application it will also not be added to global.db)
W.r.t. the extra files, mdbindex can be changed to remove the extra files once they are processed. (although this might give sync-problems with Calibre).
Quote:
The perfect solution would be to set the proper metadata outside DR (this is not valid for covers), and then let mdbindex do its work.
Poppler library (the pdf handling library used in Linux) has an experimental branch with editing of metadata, but it hasn't released yet.
The problem that I have with this is that some documents, mainly magazines, do not have correct metadata. So the extracted metadata is useless, that is why I added the extra functionality to change the metadata (and block UDS from changing it). Or do you want to use poppler to correct the metadata and let UDS extract it?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote