Originally Posted by beckywc
I would really love a detailed list of your process. I've read your posts, I find them very informative and have often wondered about your calibre setup and process.
Anyway if you feel inclined to share, enquiring minds want to know.
Here are my processes, I do not think I forgot any.
Startup of Calibre
1. check plugin updater script to see if it is necessary to download updates to plugins
2. check to see if Calibre needs to be updated
1. download book to k4pc, I like to keep a local copy of all books I've purchased from
Amazon. I also download epub books to Adobe Digital Editions for other ebook resellers.
2. add book to calibre
3. edit and download metadata
4. update page and word count with count pages plugin
5. run manage series plugin if necessary to adjust series info
6. run saved searches to make sure I have not missed any metadata fields
1. add book to reading list if it is a book I want to read soon
2. if book is on the reading list, also add it to the kindle sync list
3. if book is on the reading list, add it to the galaxy tab list, this list is necessary
because I use my galaxy as my backup reading device at night.
4. add book to the folder list where it was purchased from for backup purposes
5. if necessary rearrange reading list to the order I currently want to read books
1. check the reading plugin to see which folders need to be connected and backed up
2. connect folders in order for books to be backed up
1. add book to three lists, one for to-read, one for format (ebook, audiobook or
paper/hardback), usually at this point it is only ebook.
2. download shelf info from goodreads into custom column
1. run saved searches to upload to kindle any books marked on custom column as belonging
on kindle. Also remove any books which are marked as removal from kindle.
2. Create collections based on tags and secondary custom column for tags. The main tags
column has a minimum of 1 book whereas the secondary tag has a minimum of 5 books. My
main tag field is only a single value based on my own personal tag list, which I have 28
of. The secondary tag column could be multivalued and it has any secondary tags which I
think it belongs to and whether or not it is on the reading list tag.
3. If necessary to change covers, run copy cover to device plugin to put new/changed
covers on kindle to be used as screensavers
4. Once I am ready to disconnect and read with the kindle, I will restart it to make sure
it has the most recent version of collections. There are many times when I will run the
kindle collection plugin more than once before I will actually restart the kindle.
5. I only load books to galaxy tab about once a week or when I want to read and I know
the book I am reading is not on the device
1. read book on kindle, mark with bookmarks or notes if necessary
2. when book is finished, fetch annotation into calibre to upload book with bookmarks,
notes and date book was finished being read
3. update custom column with date book read
4. re-convert book to mobi, include the metadata onto first page in order to save the
annotation/date read info with book.
5. make a backup copy of book in epub format.
6. update the goodreads status with date read and ratings (done manually on goodreads
7. mark the book to be removed from kindle and whether or not it goes on the re-read list
8. mark the book to be backed up to folder
9. move on to the next book on the reading list
Weekly Database Maintainance
1. run check library to fix any necessary discrepancies
1. run quality check plugin to fix problem books
3. run find duplicates plugin to correct any duplicate books
NOTE: While I am performing the above steps I switch viewing filter from the view
manager plugin on many occasions to get the right columns to show for what I am working
on. I also have several saved searches to help with most of not all of the above
Barnes & Noble
Copy Cover to Device
Search the Internet
Walk Search History