View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #33
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Frankly, because I think it is utterly nonsense for an author to not allow ebook versions of their work to be distributed.

Don't get me wrong, I am not for piracy. I have published a book myself - well, an academic textbook - and I contribute regularly to the WSJ and FT and occasionally to other finance-related outlets. I also used to play music much more seriously than I do nowadays. My first job was in a technology-patenting office. I know you probably do not care about my background - but what I mean is: I do understand the need for strong copyright legislation and enforcement.

But authors who refuse to allow for the LEGAL distribution of their work are part of the problem, not of the solution.

By the way, despite my being upset and despite my lighthearted approach to the issue (my joking about 'backing up my collecting'), after downloading the books from that site on my reader, I actually bought the paper copies. They sit on my bookshelf, unopened. I did it because I personally feel copyright violation is wrong and because, fortunately, I am in an economic position to not care.

I do not regret posting that link. People who own the paper version have the right to enjoy those books on an ereader. And authors like her should be forced by the market to allow electronic distribution.

Anyhow... you asked.

I do understand why a moderator would block the link - that's his job, after all. But why does he, or you, take it personally, is beyond me. I think we need to send a clear message to authors - do NOT stand against progress and consider yourself blessed that we want to read - and, of course, pay for - your work. We, in turn, shall be grateful that you keep writing.
Some people take it personally, because doing stuff like that is an easy way for the site to get shut down. There are people from the publishing industry that come here, and since the host is of the above the board variety, all it would take is for someone to contact the host for them to pull the plug on the site.

As far as the ideological stance, well, the thing about a free market and democracy, is that not everyone has to believe what you do. If someone wants to restrict how they sell something they own, then it is their prerogative. It isn't illegal to not sell in certain formats, but it is illegal to offer up copies of stuff you don't own the rights to.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote