View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I'm not claiming copyright, but my work was donated to esspc-ebooks.com - no one has the right to profit from my labor (or Ken Mattern's) without my (our) permission.
Well, that's precisely the question, isn't it? If everything is still in the PD, there's nothing to stop anybody from doing so. Although editing can be very hard work, obviously, it usually doesn't quite reach the "threshold of originality" required in many countries' copyright acts.

If done commercially this could amount to "unfair business practices", of course, but seeing as how you don't seem to have commercial motives yourself, this is probably not an option.

Is it tacky? Obviously. Forbidden? Not so easy to answer.

Quote:
It would be the same as if someone were taking books from the MR library and selling them on Amazon without alteration.
This might shock you, but I'm not sure that there is much that could be done about it in legal terms.

Quote:
There might not be a legal recourse, but telling people to knock it off is perfectly legitimate.
By all means
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote