View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #9734
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
This sounds like an odd assortment. If I can get it for very cheap or free, I'll pick it up. I'm sure as heck not paying 12 dollars for it.
A wise decision. Although I do kind of hope it sells okay in paperback-equivalent pricing, if only so the publisher gets the idea that more Diana Tregarde stories (new novels, even!) are welcome and will sell a decent amount at a decent price.

Anyway, in the meantime you can entertain yourself with the free DT short stories in Lackey's Baen Free Library collection Werehunter, if you haven't already. "Satanic, Versus…" is absolutely hilarious and definitely continues the story (picture Diana and André doing a visit to Die For Love in Elizabeth Peters' Jacqueline Kirby series).

Finished another Fictionwise paid purchase, Castle Perilous, the 1st in the eponymous series by John DeChancie (not to be confused with John DeLancie, who plays Q on Star Trek).

I love magical moving castle/doorway into many spaces and times/people sucked into another world to accomplish stuff stories, so I rather liked the premise of this, which is a sort of crossroads castle between the worlds where strangers fall in by seeming accident and end up having adventures together.

It was a little disjointed to begin with, with lots of different vignette threads following apparently unrelated characters who just happened to wander into the castle. But then their scenes and the story began to all tie together into a reasonably satisfying conclusion for the main plot (something about an invasion of the castle) and the focus character threads.

Mild recommend if you like light comedic (but not completely humorous) real-world-crossover fantasy. This is the start of the series and an okay introduction, but I get the feeling that further books will be better written and more coherent now that the introduction has been gotten out of the way.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote