View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
The only real way to achieve this within the current technology is with a dual screen 'flippy tablet' with a standard backlit TFT LCD screen on one side and a eInk screen on the other.

I thought of this one day when I picked up my Sony PRS-650, which has a Proporta folio style cover, and opened the cover wrong-way-round, so I was looking at the back of the reader.

The proporta folio style cover has both front and back covers, with the reader connected at the spine like the pages of a standard book, so it can be opened either from the front cover or back cover equally easily.

This made me think - 'What if you had screens on BOTH sides, and used the magnets in the front and back covers (the ones that Sony typically uses only to hold the covers closed) with Hall effect sensors in the reader, so it could sense which way the ebook had been opened to automatically activate the appropriate screen.
That's actually an outstanding idea. I mean... beyond outstanding... I'd have the backlit for reading in dim (and dark) rooms... I'd have the eInk for outdoors and bright light...

Seriously, I'd sell my first-born child for that.
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote