View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I bricked my Cybook... request System Folder

Dear MobileRead users,

Since about 8 weeks, I'm the owner of a Cybook Gen3, and have been lurking here for over 3 months now. The device performs outstanding, but now I'm a bit stuck, which almost "forced" me to create an account at the forums :P

Due to an unfortunate convergence of circumstances, I lost the Cybook system files. I did back them up on my computer when I got the Cybook, seeing that they could be deleted by accident very easily, but the computers harddrive failed about a week later. This was replaced, and all backups where restored, but the Cybook system files where not yet in this backup (which I didn't now back then), and I forgot about that. I never backed them up again.

Today I wanted to delete a lot of RSS files/books, which were located on the SD-card. Being quite a slow card, it was very lenghty to delete the files, so I stopped the procedure, thinking: "I'll just quickformat the card".

I think you can already envision what happened.

Start -> Computer -> Rightclick on icon -> Format

Done. Very nice, very fast. Disconnect, and wait for the USB-cable to disappear from screen... to be replaced by the checkerboard pattern. What the.... #$%@$%#$%#$@5, I zapped the Cybook internal memory instead of the SD-card. Stupid fool!

So I reconnect the Cybook and this still works. I can see the internal memory and the (still full) SD-card. Fine, then I'll just restore the backup of my system fold.... no backup on the hard disk. Crap, it wasn't on the backupdrive when I used that to restore my files after the crash and I forgot to rebackup them after replacing the harddrive of the computer. Idiot is me. Now I have nothing to restore the Cybook with.

So, to summarize: I am in the same boat as the guy in the other thread and have a bricked Cybook over here, which can probably be fixed by putting back the system folder, as far as I can see. Would anyone be so kind to zip up the system folder of the Cybook and e-mail it to me at katsunami(at)home(dot)nl?

It would very much be appreciated, so I do not need to wait for Bookeen's support to react. Of course I could e-mail Bookeen, but I hear that their support is slow, and we are in the middle of the weekend, so it'll be slower still; and I've heard help through this forum is just as accurate and way faster.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-15-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote