View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question confused by epub page numbering

when I place files modified in sigil onto by sonyt e-reader, it tells me how many "pages" are in the book and allows "page number" to operate as navigation tool.

my prior understanding was that page numbers were computed from text character count within each xhtml, and thus were unaffecting by font resizing or other cosmetics.

But I have just tidied a 700+ page book that had come from MS word, and after removing all the word-related crud ( which appears in green or faint orange within code view ), the book now has only 400+ pages. but all the chapters & all of the text seem intact.

is that expected behaviour ?

if I had been paying close attention to the unedited version on my reader , would I have seen page numbers jump as each new chapter was opened i.e. as each new unneeded word styles, word font etc. definitions were skipped over ?

I cannot see anything within the sigil views that related to page number calculations, are the calculations taking pace within the sony firmware or are they stored somewhere within the epub structure ? ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote