View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #389
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you lend it, you won't have it anymore until you get it back. It's the same with DRM protected ebooks. Where is the problem?

Alan
Let's use Mobipocket as a format. I purchase a book from BooksOnBoard. I then want to let a friend read it. So I get the PID, go to BooksOnBoard, put int he PID, download the eBook again, and I have a copy both of us can read. I then send him a copy of the eBook. Now, are most people really going to delete all copies? No. If a conversion has been made to be able to read that eBook in another format, is the person lending the eBook going to delete the conversion only to maybe have t do it all over again? No. So it's not the same. The eBook lent out won't be deleted after it's read. The person loaning the eBook won't delete it till it's been read and deleted. It doesn't work that way. When an eBook is loaned, it's not a loan/ It's a giving of a copy that won't be deleted by either person. It's basically giving the person the eBook. It's like buying a CD and your friend wants to listen to it, but you don't want to givr out your CD. So you make a copy and give the copy toy our friend. Besides, if you did loan your CD, your friend could just as easily make a copy and give you back your CD. Loaning an eBook in the true sense of the word LOAN doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote