Thanks for the answer Kovid.
I did try that, but the document in question is a 250 pg thesis,with headers,footers and lots and lots of footnotes and references.It was going to be either a messy or very time consuming project.
After playing around with the OCR software,I discovered that the advanced default settings for conversion assigned each section of text it's own formatted box to retain the pdf layout. After turning it down to a lower setting,it gave me a doc file that was reasonable to work with within BD.
I have downloaded your project,LIBPRS500 and am enjoying trying to figure out how it works.I will ask my questions in other posts.