View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #42
sumpleby
sumpleby began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for my Kindle
I'm new here, but if you don't mind, I'll add my two cents worth. I am a voracious reader (kinda goes with the territory--I'm a librarian). While I read anything that's handy, I am one of those readers mentioned in this thread who also reads genre fiction--SF/Fantasy, and mysteries, mostly. But on the other hand, I also love gadgets and for years I looked into getting an eBook reader but never quite found one that grabbed me enough to buy. Then I heard about eInk technology. Now THAT grabbed me and I was all set to buy the Sony reader as soon as it became available.

And then Sony itself turned me off to its reader. I emailed the Sony store five times trying to get info on price, the earliest date I could place an order, etc. etc....and got absolutely no reply. Crappy customer service is no way to sell your product.

So I waited, and I'm glad I did. I have a Kindle on order. Lots of info around about the Kindle--Amazon knows the importance of marketing. Lots of content available, too. And here again Sony shoots itself in the foot, just as they did with their old Betamax machines: great machine, but a competitor does a superior job rounding up content and rights. Amazon actually answers emails...what a concept: customer service.

The Kindle holds more books. Yes, I am one of those people who like to have their "comfort" books (those they re-read frequently) available when the yen strikes. Not only that, but I think ergonomically, its wedge shape is superior. Yes, it is a bit larger that the Sony, but will fit more comfortable in one's hand.

And that wireless access is a huge selling point. Near instantaneous access to what you want. Computers didn't hit the home market until I was in college, so I'm not one who was raised with them as a fixture of life--but I have certainly been spoiled by them! I like instantaneous.
sumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote