View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
aidren
Edge User

Rakista

I have a few of these. They are not readable on the eDGe unless they have a hidden text layer. Any that I have with the hidden text layer are fine... with this warning... if you export/transport them out of the library/internal hard drive, the reader software strips the hidden text. So, you have to make sure you keep your original copy elsewhere, and do not overwrite it.

As Boris said, many of the older books are image only. Sometimes it is because they have more than one language represented in them, or inline symbols. I have several like this.

You have to run an ocr on them to create the hidden text layer. You can do this in Acrobat Standard and up, although with the book that I did myself, I found that Acrobat didn't do an adequate job. It seemed to just run everything automatically. I used a scanning software that allowed me to train and check the ocr, as well as export it as a layered pdf. It worked much better than Acrobat. It was a lot of work, but I was interested in keeping the book as resource material.

I'm a Mac user, so the scanning software I used was Read Iris Pro. You'll have to ask the Windows users what scanning software is best. I think it might be Abbey Reader? Also, the ocr quality is somewhat dependent on the image quality. The higher the resolution, the sharper the edges and the ocr has a better chance of interpreting it.

Also, you will not be able to "reflow" the text.