Thread: small caps
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #21
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
You're correct - the true type files have 'sc' fonts that look pretty good unless greatly magnified. With FontCreator, with glyphs-magnify options, the individual glyphs are very crude compared to commercial (or even the better class of non-commercial ones), but they should be adequate for epubs. And perhaps the font author intentionally incorporated the crudeness to emulate the old type.

I didn't realize that the otf and the ttf fonts differed - previously, and this time before you pointed out the difference, I had downloaded the otf fonts and found they did not have keyboard useable sc fonts. The true type sc fonts have the proper sizes of 'capitals' and 'lower case' and I think they should look much better than my usual small cap fonts or the Sil tuned small cap fonts.

Thanks for pointing out my incorrect assumption about ttf and otf!
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote