View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thank you crich for starting us off with an ebook version! I started with a few error corrections since I had noticed them on reading the book, but then it turned into a much more extensive edit. It turned out to be quite interesting because reading through the book in this detailed way, it did make me think about some ways in for reading this series beyond just going chronologically one book at a time. There is some great info in this book on thematic or chronological approaches. It has made me excited to explore this series.

I noticed some OCR errors and checked them against a scanned version I found at Scribd. Especially, there were issues with numbers not being rendered correctly and with the joined 'ae' in words like 'Aeneid' messing everything up, so I took those out and made them just regular writing.

I removed the images, since they were messing up the page breaks, and removed as well the manually created table of contents and then used the standardized HTML headings Sigil provided in order to have a proper table of contents generated more easily and accurately (since I had moved some stuff around and made new sections)

Up until that point, it was just cleaning up the book as it was already. But I did make one major change that you should be aware of, and that's that I took out the general index. It referenced specific page numbers which were not relevant in an e-version, and it was also in very bad shape, many OCR errors, numerous random line breaks, pretty much incomprehensible. And it was massive and choked up Sigil every time I tried to edit it. If you are looking for specific keywords, the search function on your reader will likely do a much better job. I hate actually removing material from a real book, but I just could not get this massive block of incomprehensible text into any sort of useful condition, and my computer would not edit this. I did, however, edit and clean up the first lines of the poems index.

So, be aware if you are downloading my version instead of Crich's that even though it is cleaned up and in good condition, and has been proofed, it is MISSING the general index section. Personally, I think it is no great loss But if you are a completest and can't stand the thought of an upstart like me just deleting part of a book like that, then be aware that you may want to download both of the files
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote