View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Since my question thread about the stock firmware got no responses, I'll post them here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Is there is any detailed info on the stock software? I've scoured the user guide and the web but no info on the following (that were huge problems on the classic nook for me):

1) How are non-B&N purchased books ("sideloaded files" as the weird terminology goes) hobbled compared to books bought directly from B&N? If there is no discernible difference in how they are handled and how they appear in lists, how they can be searched for, etc. I'm sold right away . One thing I know from reading the manual is that they all appear in the same main Library (and can be filtered for - they are not recognized as "books" even if they are epub. Only B&N purchased books are "books" . The rest are either magazines or "files".

2) Can highlights and notes be exported and accessed on a PC? Or at least backed up?

3) Ditto shelves (just another name for tags I guess) - can they be backed up or are they hidden away in some system partition?

(2) and (3) were nearly useless in nook classic because they were volatile and inaccessible to the user. A hard reset anytime in the life of the device meant that you lost them.

4) Vanity item - there were tons of suggestions on the B&N site for a screensaver option with the currently "now reading" book's cover showing. Any sightings of something like this?

As I said however, if (1) has been corrected, I'm ready to buy .
I think you already said that My docs and My B&N docs are no longer segregated. Is there any difference in functionality between the two types of books though? Say, a sideloaded epub versus an epub purchased directly from the device from B&N?

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Well, THIS strategy will get me to buy the Color and SOMETHING NOT B&N.

It's not that hard to render PDF images. Taking that functionality out hurts my library badly. And I'm terribly unhappy that this "it only shows text" issue isn't clarified on their webpage.

THANK YOU FOR THE REVIEW, OP.
Ditto . That's a hell of a thing to not make clear in the feature list. A pdf reader that can't render embedded images at all is NOT a pdf reader. Does it make sense that the more powerful the hardware, the less powerful and feature-rich the software?

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 06-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote