View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #9607
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeiLin View Post
I think I'll begin picking at "Cranford," by Mrs Gaskill. At least it'll be more my time period than 17th century Germany by way of West Virginia...
You might want to try watching the BBC's adaptation of the Cranford series, if you haven't already. It's very nicely done and has Dame Judi Dench and Simon Woods in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Yes, I picked up June Bug - since it's a series I've had on my wishlist for months now.
Awesome. Always nice when books you've been meaning to try out go free before you've actually bought them.

Speaking of which, I was very pleased to see that sf/fantasy re-publisher Phoenix Pick had as their free e-book of the month selection for June Charles Sheffield's Georgia on My Mind, his Nebula and Hugo dual-award-winning novelette.

I've been meaning to try Sheffield for some time, since he's got a good reputation and was married to Nancy Kress, one of my favourite writers. But he's been dead awhile and his books seem to have been mostly paperback, so the libraries have mostly kind of turfed their copies since then.

Anyway this was a slow-starting but gradually very interesting story about trying to track down what really happened to an anomalous Babbage-ish Analytical Machine, which has lots of nifty bits about early computers and early computer programming (with punchcards and cogwheels).

The resolution is a rather open-ended and I'd kind of liked to have found out what happened next, but in the end I rather enjoyed it, even if some of the technobabble went over my head.

Recommended if you like early computer science stuff and figuring the mysterious whereabouts of disappeared Babbage Engines.

The only thing better than getting this novelette for free would have been getting the entire story collection for free, but the next best thing is to get it for 50% off with coupon, which you can via the download page for the freebie novelette and which I myself will be picking up once I've paid off this month's CC bills.

Also, remember about a month or so ago when I recommended Stephen Leigh's Le Guin-ish Dark Water's Embrace and The Speaking Stone? It turns out all three of Leigh's Phoenix Pick backlist are on special sale, bundled up for just $7.64 (works out to $2.57 each) and they're sold DRM-free worldwide if you want them. Details are in their email newsletter.

Last edited by ATDrake; 06-03-2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Fixed redundant linkage.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote