View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Common sense may dicatate that, but reality disagrees. At most, 10% of the cost of producing a book goes to putting ink on paper (less on more popular books).
FWIW, Here's a good thread and an interesting post on the cost of producing ebooks I tucked away awhile back:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15&post1014815

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=452

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If they are... it's backfiring. They're selling like hotcakes last I checked.
Yeah, but didn't Amazon say it was the cheaper books that were flying off the, er, shelves?

Plus, sales should be increasing dramatically, to stay in proportion to sales of devices, which are selling like hotcakes, and the reports I've seen show that the #1 reason or one of the top 3 reasons people gave for buying an ereader was the cheaper cost of ebooks vs paper.

Personally, I'll gladly pay the premium for new releases, but I don't see how publishers can expect people not to complain when there are so many situations like this:

George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 4-Book Boxed Set:
Kindle Edition $35.99
Paperback $19.77

Or the Roberta Gellis and SK Penman book prices, or which are/*were even more ridiculous.

*A few weeks later, the prices on 9 of the Roberta Gellis' backlist books I was wanting came available on Baen, or dropped from $9.99 to $5-6. At that point, I bought them all.

Anyway, I don't think they need to be uber-cheap, but I do think publishers need to adjust their pricing strategies for ebooks.

I expect they will, as time shows what great customers we are.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote