View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I think some of this may be the re-write of metadata.calibre (the list oflast known books on your device).
Mine is now 12.5M for 2146 books.
Hmmm, so if I do a factory reset then I may see metadata upload times come down but the more books I add the longer the times will get?

I'm reluctant to do a factory reset of my Kobo because if it doesn't help then it's going to take a loooonng time to reload my books.

I'm concerned that not too many people are reporting this problem. Does that mean that this is specific to just a few Kobos or are there not that many people with the upgrade that use Calibre and post here?

Quote:
On a single ereader, why would you want more than 100 books? I have 5000 ebooks in my Calibre Library on the PC but but on my kindle I have four collections: 50 unread novels, 20 humor books, 20 non-fiction, and 8 reference.

These numbers fluctuate as I read through the books and I add to the ereader as I come across anything new that I want to read right away.

Unless you're kidnapped and held in a cave somewhere with your charger and an electrical outlet, it's unlikely that you need many more books than this on any portable device at any given time. Moreover, Calibre has a far superior library management capability on a PC than that found on any dedicated ereader.
I like to read more than one book at a time and I like to have them all or most of them with me . It's just easier and works for me. (and the Kobo comes preloaded with 100 books).

Quote:
By limiting the number of books on your device and ensuring that you have selected "manual management" in Preferences > Sending data to devices, I would hope that your load times were measured in a few seconds per upload.
I would like to use my Kobo to it's full potential.
I do have manual management selected.
I would hope so too but that's not the reality.

The problem seems to be on my Windows 7 and my XP machines.
I updated Calibre to 8.2.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote