View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
JSWolf
Suspended
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Publishing was in decline long before ebooks came around, or even the internet. As if that analysis weren't dumb enough, the author goes on to say "Amazon killed browsing. You go on, you find the book you wanted, you pay, and you leave. So instead of buying five books, you buy just one."
Um.. do you really know how long the Internet has been available to the public? It's been available to the public for close to 32 years. Publishing was not in decline back then.

Actually, I find I browse more now then I did before as I can do it at home when I want. I don't have to wait until I am out and at a bookstore. I don't go and buy a bundle of books like I used to. I used to have a discount card from Waldenbooks that allowed me 15% off if I bought so much money worth of books. So when I went in there, I bought that much and got my 15% off. That was good back then. So yes, I did end up going away with a bundle of books. But now, with the agency model and the fact that we don't get that many discounts, I don't always buy a bunch of books at one time. And as for browsing, I browse a lot at the libraries I have access to and at Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote