Great plugin, jackie_w!
As many others, I would love the additional capability of using the cover of the book I'm currently reading as standby image on my Sony 650 - especially since I often read multiple books simultaneously. Understanding the limitations of a Calibre plugin and those of the Sony, I have come up with something of a plan to achieve this. So bear with me, and please don't hesitate to shoot me down if it's impossible, impractical or just too much work
First of all, a feature like this would need the plugin and PRS+ to work together. So if it is feasible to make the necessary changes to the plugin, the next step would be to ask kartu about the possibilities on the PRS+ side. Here's the plan, step by step:
- Plugin. Instead of the current naming scheme, the uploaded covers would have to have the same filename as the books do on the reader (except for the extension).
- Plugin. The plugin would ideally upload the covers of all books that are both in the library and on the device (I'm thinking of a 'cover sync' button, but a selection of books would work as well).
Instead of uploading to the images folder, the plugin would use a separate folder (e.g. images/covers/). This way, it can still do file management with the new filenames (by deleting either all files in the folder before uploading, or just the ones not in its to-upload list).
- PRS+ Every time the user opens a book on the Sony, PRS+ copies the cover with the corresponding filename from the covers folder to images/calibre_cover.jpg (overwriting it if necessary).
- User (one time only). The user selects calibre_cover.jpg as the only standby image.
- Done! Now, as far as the Sony is concerned, the same image is always used as standby image. But in fact, the user syncs covers to the covers folder using the plugin, and PRS+ makes sure the standby image matches the current book.
I hope all of the above is clear and, who knows, maybe even feasible