View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #9504
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Okay, now I have to check these out. I thank you, but my TBR mountain doesn't!
Well, if you do decide to look into Carl's works, just about all her backlist is cheapest via Smashwords, and you should wait for her to offer discount coupons when the Backlist E-Books author consortium holds their sporadic sale events w/discount coupons and occasional freebies.

The two exceptions are Time Enough to Die and Memory and Desire (a romantic suspense rather than a straight mystery, apparently), which are at the same base price as at Smashwords (for some reason all her other FW books are at 6.99, even the ones with the same titles), but become dirt cheap when FW has one of their rare 50%+ discount coupons (we had a 60% off one for FW's anniversary this month, and if they're still around come November, there'll probably be one of those for Cyber Monday after the US Thanksgiving holidays).

As for me, now that I'm done enabling hoarding behaviour, am currently on a slightly morbid current Kindle freebie, Their Last Suppers: Legends of History and their Final Meals by Andrew Caldwell, which is just what it says in the subtitle.

This is a collection of brief career-highlights biographical mini-essays on about a dozen famous (and infamous) historical figures and celebrities, who mostly died under dramatic circumstances, followed by what they had to eat the last day or night they were alive.

For some of them, like JFK and Princess Diana and the captain of the Titanic, there are actual records of their itineraries and so forth.

But for others, such as King Leonidas of Sparta and Captain James Cook, obviously it can only be conjectured, and the author puts together a "representative" last meal from the sort of dishes that he thinks they would have eaten, based on the ingredients then available and the typical cuisine of the time.

Recipes are included for all, updated for modern palates and ease-of-actually-making-in-a-typical-kitchen (for obvious reasons, the cyanide and ground glass are left out of the recipe for Rasputin's final meal of honeyed teacakes and poisoned wine).

I kind of like this one, but then I enjoy history, and I enjoy food culture books, and so historical food culture books are like doubleplus good to me.

Recommended if you think you might have a taste for this sort of thing, and you certainly can't argue with the price (if you manage to get it while it's still free).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote