View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad mini, HP Touchpad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Until the Kobo is released and really reviewed it is hard to recommend it. If it works well then there is no way I would recommend a 5 inch screen Sony 350 over a similarly priced 6 inch screen Kobo Touch with WiFi. A smaller screen and no conncetivity vs more screen and conncetivity for the same price?

Kobo seems to have done very well in Canada. I would guess that the number of books available to Canadians through Kobo is the same available through the Kindle. The same geo restrictions will be in place. Amazon has a larger store if you are willing to pretend to be an American and use the US based book store.

I would say go with the Kobo (pending reviews) if you want a touch screen. Heck, if the Kobo has the same functionality as the Kindle than go with the Kobo even if the touchscreen doesn't matter to you.

If the reviews of the Kobo Touch are poor, I would go with the Kindle. It has great functionality, a great book store, is easy to use, and is reasonably priced.
Yes, the Kobo seems to be doing well here. I've only seen one Kindle "in the wild", but I've seen many Kobos. The Kobo devices are sold and prominently displayed in Chapters and Indigo store, the largest bookstore chain(s) in Canada, which contributed greatly to sales, I'm sure. I'm not sure about the size of the Kobo store vs. the Kindle store, but I have found that I was able to find more Canadian content at the Kobo store and the at the Kindle store (not surprising, with Kobo being a Canadian company). This could be a big deal for some people (not to say that I haven't seen Canadian content at the Kindle store - I have, but less of it, and I've seen some books available there quite a bit later than they were available at the Kobo store. This could just be my experience, though, I don't have any hard facts to prove that the Kobo store is much better for Canadian content).

You are right, it is best to wait for reviews before purchasing, of course.

I would have no problem recommending the 350 over a Kobo, as it has features that I have found very useful that seem to be missing in the Kobo (multilingual dictionaries, PDF reflow). While wi-fi is a great feature, it is not a must-have for me. I enjoy the small size of the 350; I was really worried that I wouldn't, as I was used to reading off of a 6 inch screen, but I have found that I really love the smaller size of the Pocket edition, especially when taking it with me on errands around town. We all have our own needs and wants when it comes to ebook readers.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 05-25-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote