View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neefsck View Post
-Automatically scan for new files/ebooks in a directory and add them to an existing db.
No ideas here. The problem is that the metadata is usually terrible, so automatic additions are seldom acceptable.
Quote:
-Provide search functions (ie: Author, Title etc)
-Share the library out via some sort of web interface (I like being able to grab books remotely) In much the same way Calibre does.
-Provide as minimal software footprint as possible - Possibly without a graphical front end interface as this will be moved to a simple server sitting at the terminus of my connection.
Calibre's content server does all of the above, including not having the graphical front end.

Many people use the GUI to add books and maintain the metadada, then use calibre's content server on a different machine to serve that information. This is the easiest method to set up. The principle difficulty is syncing the libraries between the machine running the GUI and the one running the server.

I do something similar, but not with calibre's content server. For various reasons I wrote a PHP-based calibre library content server that integrates into either Apache or IIS (I use Apache). I run the PHP server on a virtual server (run by linode, should anyone care). I use dropbox to sync my library to the virtual server; the content server uses the changes immediately. See this thread for more details.

I confess that I have never tried running my content server with a library of 25,000 books (I have 2500). Perhaps one of the other users has.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote