View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
The Nonfiction Recommendations and Resources Thread

This thread is intended to discuss recommendations and resources for general nonfiction buffs, with a focus on history and biography. We'll leave out science, since there is a separate active science thread. I'll be making recommendations based on the stuff I have read, plus the stuff thought ogff as good. I'll be asking for recommendations as the stuff I want to read. Finally, Ill be pointing to various Internet resources for the history/non-fiction buffs among us. I hope you'll join in with your recs and reading.

WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING

THe first nonfiction ebook I read was :
"The Warmth of Other Suns ,
AMAZON ,
BN

Really outstanding study of the "Great Migration" of blacks out of the South in the 20th century, told through the eyes of three migrants-a sharecropper, a doctor, and a railway worker. They emigrated from three places, to three different cities and had three very different experiences.
I put "Great Migration" in quotes because they didn't think they were a part of anything "Great"- they were just getting out of Dodge, trying to get to somewhere where they could live like a human being.

"Freedom Summer"

From the publishers blurb:
In the summer of 1964, with the civil rights movement stalled, seven hundred college students descended on Mississippi to register black voters, teach in Freedom Schools, and live in sharecroppers' shacks. But by the time their first night in the state had ended, three volunteers were dead, black churches had burned, and America had a new definition of freedom.

Great narrative of the "Mississippi Burning" summer, which continued to discuss the same themes raised by the Great Migration and explored what some Americans did to help some of those who DIDN'T get out of Dodge.

BN

"Game Change"

A nice narrative history of the 2008 presidential election, in which Barack Obama achieved what the Great Migrants believed would never happen: the election of an African American to the Presidency of the United States.
It was a fitting end to an arc of American history that spanned the last 100 years.

BN

"Rebels at the Gates"

A decent but not great history of a little known campaign of the Civil War- the western Virginia campaign of 1861. Its notable for two things- it led to the creation of the state of West Virginia AND it was the first contest between Lee and McClellan .

AMAZON

I got it on sale for $1.20, and it was worth that-I would say.

WHAT I AM READING NOW

"Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance"

Well written book by Atul Gawande about science and art of modern medicine. Been a pleasure reading so far.

WHAT I WANT TO READ

I'm looking at

"Cod", Mark Kurlansky
"Four Fish" , Paul Greenberg
"Salt", Mark Kurlansky
"Moonwalking with Einstein", Joshua Foer
"A History of the World in 6 Glasses" Tom Stanndage.

Has anyone read any of those, and you can give me a review/rec? tia.

Last edited by stonetools; 05-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote