View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #52
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
We will go with a twelve month schedule.

Many of these will be voting months somewhat similar to the general book club, with a few minor changes. But some of the months will be a "member lottery". During these lottery months, anyone who voted each month during the last two or three months can nominate themselves if they wish. One of these nominees will be randomly chosen. This member then earns the right to choose that month's selection; however they also earn the responsibility to lead the discussion afterwards. Other members may suggest works to this member.

The non-lottery months will have categories. I've narrowed the categories down to an encompassing group of possibilities, though I still may add some, delete some, combine some or change some. Here is what we have:

-member lottery

-open (anything considered literature)

-poetry

-non-fiction

-plays

-short stories

-obscure

-highly challenging (especially long or difficult works we may be hesitant to choose otherwise)

-region (will begin with a quick poll of regions; once one is chosen nominations will proceed normally; once a region is chosen it would be out of the running the next time region is the category)

-time period (will begin with a quick poll of time periods)

Thoughts on this are of course welcome while I work on settling the schedule. Does this look like a group of categories that all of you would enjoy selecting from during the year? The categories are malleable right now. Are the member lottery months appealing?

This June will be an open month and will be voted on. I will start a nominations thread soon, and a 3-day final voting poll by the 28th at the latest (to finish by the 31st at the latest). I will try to start the final voting poll soon after nominations are complete but since I will be on vacation for five days I only guarantee that it will finish before June starts.

sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote