View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #45
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Of course there is a difference, but this thread is about piracy. The point was that apparently this woman was not aware of the difference.
And whose fault is that, I wonder? (Thinking out loud here.)

Most people think "Google" when they want to search for something. Before I found Inkmesh, I was using Google to search for eBooks because the alternative was:

1. Check B&N.
2. Check Kobo.
3. Check Sony.
4. Check Amazon.
5. etc.

If you wake up one morning and think, "By god, I want me some 'Emma' ebook reading," you go to Google, plug in "Emma Jane Austen ebook", download one of the many free (legal) versions, and go your merry way.

If you wake up one morning and think, "By god, I want me some 'Scott Pilgrim' ebook reading," you go to Google, plug in "Scott Pilgrim ebook", and your first links are to download many free (illegal) versions.

*I* know they're illegal versions. *You* know they're illegal versions. Does ancient, elderly, out-of-touch, absolutely-frightened-by-technology-and-longs-for-her-childhood-of-butternchurns-and-petticoats 35-year-old grandmother () know the copies are illegal???

I can't say. I suspect they might not.

If publishers aren't going to make their books all available in ebook form (which is their right), then they need to spend money to educate the public how to tell a legal version from an illegal one. The differences aren't always obvious, I'm afraid. Meanwhile, Google is happily directing people to pirate sites (as it should - they shouldn't be filtering content results).

If a publisher owns a title that they don't want in ebook form, they need to google that title (plus the term 'ebook') and the first result in the search needs to be a notice explaining that this book isn't available for sale as an ebook and any copy online is a pirated one. Pay Google to make sure you're the Top Search Result, if necessary.

Don't want to spend money on your "You Can't Have Harry Potter So Nyah!" ad? Would rather sit around and whine that people are Googling your book and being directed to pirate sites and OH THE HUMANITY? Well, let me know hot that works out for you as a business strategy.

I'm not saying piracy is right or wrong, but I *can* imagine that not everyone understands automatically how all this works.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote