View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I think the question you have to ask with a subscription service is why the publishers/authors would offer it. For it to work, there has to be some value added for the publisher/author above what they get under the existing system.

The most plausible service would be something like the book of the month club, where you get books at a discount, but are obligated to buy a certain number of books (maybe you subscribe for a year and get a 20% discount). One problem with this system is that the universe of books you can choose is somewhat limited, though.

And maybe you could have a system with deeper discounts for older books that aren't selling as well.

I really can't see a Netflix-type system, though. Unlike movies, there has never really been a successful rental model for books, and I don't see that changing.

Similarly, I don't see a rhapsody or e-music type subscription model working because I don't see how the authors/publishers can make any money from it - it would basically just cannibalize sales.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote