View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Little.Egret
Addict
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook LLite, Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle T
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm not arguing with you about the fact they should have a TOC, just stating that that seems to be something common in volunteer conversions of books, many (if not all of which are PD books).
-snip-

Yes, I notice that many /publishers/ of public domain texts make a selling point in title or description of "Active Table of Contents". So Mrs Beeton or Fowler first editions are available either way with a price premium for the TOC.

But sometimes it's just an old conversion or old software or a mistake.

I own paid for .mobi books with
(a) no active TOC
or (b) active TOC but no chapter markers so skip next/ previous chapter isn't allowed.

or (c) all

and now I suppose you could add those which have page numbers and those which don't.

Since a TOC is not needed for a novella or short with no chapters and hardly necessary for a collection of two shorts, Amazon can't really enforce a TOC.

They could however - how can we suggest this ? - do an autoscan & add to the "Product Details" TOC, chapter markers and even page numbering. It would also be useful to add a version number so the existence of a corrected version is obvious.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote