View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #164
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Amazon just sent me an email today announcing the availability of a new version of LOTR (ASIN:B0026REBFK) - correcting typos & missing content issues - being offered to those who purchased earlier Kindle versions.
Fictionwise haven't said anything to me, but on checking, I do now get a different version than the one I downloaded on 17th April. This is the all-in-one version.

Comparing the text, there have been many changes from the earlier version:

Since I had thought that the text had been in an electronic database for some time, I'm surprised to see that many of the changes are essentially of OCR errors: hypens erroneously removed at line ends, paragraphs incorrectly split or not split at page turns, accents missing or mistaken.

The latest version does seem to have fixed up LOTS and LOTS of errors though. Well over 450 affected paragraphs by my count.

The first few errors fixed, and categories of errors fixed throughout the book:

In the table of contents:
The PROLOGUE entry also has the text "Concerning Hobbits, and other matters"

In the NOTE ON THE TEXT:
A hyphen corrected to an en-dash in the paragraph about volume 3
A hyphen corrected to an en-dash in the paragraph about summer 1966
A hyphen corrected to an en-dash in the paragraph about the United States
A hyphen corrected to an en-dash in the paragraph about the 1984 British edition
Smeagol corrected to Sméagol in the paragraph about studying Tolkien's manuscripts
A hyphen corrected to an en-dash in the paragraph about interesting tidbits
É corrected to Éowyn; in the same paragraph
A hyphen corrected to an en-dash in the paragraph about significant achievement
A hyphen corrected to an en-dash in the paragraph about emendations
Drúeadan corrected to Drúadan in the same paragraph
An erroneous space removed from Númenórean(s) in the same paragraph

In the FOREWORD TO THE SECOND EDITION
The corrected to Théoden in the paragraph starting "Those who had asked"
"Barad-dûen" corrected to "Barad-dûr would not have been" in the paragraph starting "The real war"
Missing paragraph break put in at "The Lord of the Rings is now issued"
"Núng" corrected to "Númenor and the arising" in the paragraph starting "At Great Smials"

Chapter 1:
A missing hyphen added back into "Good-bye"

Chapter 2:
A missing hyphen added back into "Hundred-weight"

Chapter 3:
sila lumenn correct to síla lúmenn on paragraph starting "O Fair Folk"

Chapter 5:
You'llget corrected to You'll get in paragraph starting "But you won't have any luck in the Old Forest"

etc., etc.,

THROUGHOUT:
Some erroneous spaces before footnote markers removed
Some more hyphens in date ranges changed to en-dashes
Some SMALL-CAPS now used instead of CAPS
Spaces removed from between adjacent single and double open quotes.
Some punctuation removed from inside italic sections.
Various paragraph breaks corrected.
Some missing punctuation (end quote marks) put back.
Several instances of an erroneous open single quote being replace by the correct apostrophe.
Many, many corrections to accents

Rather irritatingly, they have used a graphic for ū (lowercase u with a straight bar accent above it) when it is included in the Kindle default font.

Appendicies: About 3/4 of the changes are in the appendicies. Perhaps 300 out of the 450 or so changed paragraphs. Lots of tabes fixed up, so that dates are in the correct row, rather than being off by one or two rows.

We still have the rather odd index, with non-hyperlinked page numbers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote