View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
THE best tool to create rtf file on Windows computer is Windows Write. That little writing app in the Accessories menu in Start menu, next to Notepad.

Windows Write had much, MUCH cleaner and leaner rtf.
Just have a look at the example generated by various programs including OpenOffice.org, Libre office (that is at the moment little more than a forked copy of OpenOffice.org), abiword, and various other programs. You can open rtf file like a plain text file and see the code for yourself. You can use any of numerous plain text editors, such as Notepad++, Textpad, Ultraedit, or, my favourite - Vim. In the past I have been generating RTF files by Vim scripts. I was able to convert simple html to RTF using just a Vim script.

On Linux I use Ted text editor when I need to create nice and clean rtf file.

With Windows Write or Ted you have several options.
- open existing badly formatted RTF in Write or Ted, correct formating and save
- copy and paste text into Write or Ted from some office program and save clean RTF.

Do have a look at rtf generated by Windows Write and generated by various other programs. You will see that there are huge differences. I believe that when you have nice clean rtf your e-ink reader has less work to do when formatting text, so the file opens faster and you conserve some battery power. The last point is much less important now than it was when I had Sony PRS-500 and I had to convert books to rtf to read them. Nowadays I would use epub or, if I wanted to be super efficient I would use FB2 format.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote