Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
I hope you're successful, I've seen other devices where the release of the GPLed part of the source code (provided they find a way to cleanly separate it, which they are required to anyway) has helped the dev team find and fix quite a few bugs (happened quite a few times that some time after an alternative firmware came out fixing a long open bug that a new official release also suddenly found a fix for the same bug :-) and also to implement new functions. One excellent example is a wireless router from Linksys which was so popular in the community for the vast number of uses via no less than 3 different alternative FWs (not counting the branches) that they must have earned a fortune with that model (two years after the initial release they were selling it still for pretty much the original price while there were newer routers with superior technical data which still couldn't compete with the amazing number of functions of the far older model).

And on the mention of the problems rfog is experiencing: I *always* switch off the Cybook with my book open and never had the problem that it didn't save (except for one time: I did a test to see how long the battery would last and didn't charge it for a month. When the battery indicator was at 30% and below I *sometimes* found that it hadn't saved the current position. Going back to the library before switching off allowed me to keep reading for 2-3 more days until the battery was completely spent. Once I had recharged it the "problem" was gone and as I usually connect it to the PC every now and then anyway I have never depleted the battery so much as to experience that behaviour again).
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote