View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #52
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Your experience of 1984 is very different from mine. It's a few decades since I read it, but it is a book that haunts me. I find it quite a difficult read, because I keep stopping to think about this or that bit and going into imaginative flights.
Oh - as a novel I actually liked it. I really liked the setting and the atmosphere. I also really enjoyed the "saving" of Winston Smith. The whole book was his journey to an enlightenment of sorts and it was definitely worth it.

My reaction was really to a heavy-handedness I thought Orwell used to get the message across. I almost got the impression that he thought his message was so important that he could not risk that the reader might miss it.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote