I ended up returning the reader to the seller. I was told they'd reflash it - I'm guessing they didn't as all of the data I'd put on there was still on there. Anyway, it was working again.............. kind of .......... some files it would still refuse to read after a certain page (I checked and they were fine on the computer).
Using the SD card seemed hopeless. The SD card seemed to become corrupt while it was in the reader. I did wonder if it was the SD card but I'd transfer to the SD card from the computer, check the SD card - everything was fine, folders and files all ok - put the SD card in the reader, all of a sudden folders and files are gobbeldy gook, check the SD card in the computer, yep totally RS.
Reading the epub format means you lose the page numbers at the bottom which is annoying - I like to know where I am in a book. Mind you, when the page numbers were shown in .lit, they were often wrong - eg. for the last 200 pages of the book the total number of pages didn't change.
Bookmarks didn't work the way I expected - as soon as you exited the book, they were wiped. And as for 'Recent Files' - that was only since you'd turned it on.
Quite often my reader would simply freeze and refuse to turn a page for several minutes.
This was my first reader, so maybe all of these glitches are to be expected.
Anyway, although my experience with this particular one was very annoying at times, I really did enjoy the convenience (when it was cooperating) of having a few novels on hand in one small package and the battery life was fantastic. My fight with this one is over as I went on a weekend trip and it didn't make it home with me, now I'm looking to replace it.