View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #564
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Baen may be future: or he may just be an outlier.
It may just be that a publisher of speculative fiction, with an emphasis on military sf, who spends time cultivating a following in the techno-geek community, can get away with going DRM free. I note some of the passionate anti DRMists are also devoted followers of Baen. They're kind of invested in Baen's success and they share the whole" everything should be TOTALLY open" ethos. I bet their Android and Linux enthusiasts as well.
A big publishing company, with many lines of books, has different interests and must take a different approach. I didn't think a single one of Elfmark and Xenophon's choices were for general nonfiction or general fiction-the two biggest categories of books published out there.
You know what? SCREW YOU. You sit here and smugly call people names and then try to act like you are on the side of “good and justice.” I would bet that YOU have more pirated works than anybody on this thread and you’re talking out of guilt. You “doth protest too much, methinks.”

Time after time people are telling you that THEY DO NOT WANT TO SHARE THEIR BOOKS WITH THE WORLD and yet you keep coming back with the same You keep proclaiming that authors aren’t going to write books…well they can STOP and find a full time job. I don’t give a good damn. I can live just fine without their crap and keep my hard earned money in my pocket. You don’t get it, do you?? There are NO AUTHORS without readers and you, my friend, turn my stomach.

I have spent over $300 on books this calendar year and you know what?? If some stupid publisher or author didn’t get my money cause they don’t get the message – well it’s their loss, not mine.

I am SICK TO DEATH of people like YOU calling me a thief because I want the ability to use the items that I PAY FOR as I SEE FIT. If you are so concerned about the pirating, keep your damn manuscript in the damn drawer! I’ve lost thousands of dollars in .LIT books and I refuse to keep losing more. I don’t steal/pirate/whatever ebooks. I don’t need to. I have a damn good job and I can spend my money in whatever manner I please. And I please to spend my money with the companies who actually value me as a customer. If you had a publishing company, you’d never see a DIME of my money. And if I ever find out who you are and that you are part of a publishing company or an author I support – I would stop supporting whatever it is that YOU are attached to.