View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #9198
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Finished Terence M. Green's Barking Dogs near-futuristic (circa 1988) sf cop thriller set in Toronto, Ontario. This was a previous Free Book of the Month selection from Phoenix Press, and I read it to see if I wanted to pick up the next "Mitch Helwig" book, which is on sale for $2.55 with PP's April 50% off coupon which you can find in the Deals forum.

It was a mildly interesting read to begin with, premised on having a fairly high-tech near-infallible lie detector being developed, but turned into one of those "fed-up law enforcement official turns to unofficial ways to enforce the law, can he step back from the brink in time?"

Only, I'm not sure there was really supposed to be an in-story brink to step back from.

One of the non-cop characters has this internal monologue lamenting how if she publicly expressed her opinion that criminals should be rounded up, sterilized, relocated to remote wilderness ghettos and left to kill each other off/die from the wilderness conditions, she would be given the side-eye by her office colleagues.

Uh, yeah, there's a reason for that. Given Canada's demonstratedly stellar ability to convict supposed criminals on absolutely no solid evidence and repeatedly resist attempts to bring proof of their actual innocence to court, and taser handcuffed people to death for wielding a stapler which they say couldn't distinguish from a gun and try to obfuscate and cover it up, I think I'd have trust issues regarding that, on top of the at the dubious humanity and deliberate dehumanization of the proposal.

Hopefully this is just a retro-futuristic "society is different" character voice thing and I didn't just pay for $2.55 of continued wingnuttery. But if I did, at least it was cheap and supports a fellow Canadian. Even one who might think that "undesirable" people should be rounded up and deported to die in the wilderness.

Now on to select another former Phoenix Press freebie to see if the author's writing is appealing enough to get their other works for half-price while the sale lasts.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote